LAUREATES FOR THE SECOND HIDEYO NOGUCHI AFRICA PRIZE
Medical Research Category
Director and Professor of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
The Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize for MedicalResearch goes to Dr. Peter Piot for his pivotal research on diseases endemic to much of the African continent,including HIV, Ebola, chlamydia, tuberculosis and gonorrhea.
Medical Services Category
Executive Director of the Infectious Disease Institute - Makerere University
The Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize for MedicalServices goes to Dr. Alex Godwin COUTINHO for his pioneering efforts to expand access to life-sparing medicine for people infected with HIV.
- 13th March 2013Press Conference - Japanese Government Internet TV
- Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga announced the laureates of the Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize.
- 31th May 2013Memorial Postage Stamps of the Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize
- To commemorate the award ceremony of the Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize to be held on June 1, 2013, post offices bigin to sell memorial postage stamps on May 31, 2013.
- 1st June 2013Visit to Former Bacterial Laboratory and Ceremony hosted by Yokohama City
- The laureates visited the former bacterial laboratory in Yokohama and Yokohama city held welcome ceremony.
- 2nd-3rd June 2013Fukushima Program
- The laureates visited Fukushima, Dr. Hideyo Noguchi's hometown.
- 4th June 2013Commemorative Lecture by The Second Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize Laureates
- The laureates had lecture at the United Nations University in Tokyo.